SEARED YELLOWFIN TUNA WITH BLACK BEAN
- 4 yellowfin tuna steaks about 200 g roughly 2 cm thick 1 tbsp. coriander seeds lightly crushed Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper 2 tbsp. Olive oil for oiling BLACK BEANS 200 g soaked overnight in cold water few thyme sprigs 1 bay leaf 3-4 tbsp. olive oil 1 onion peeled and halved 1 garlic clove peeled and thinly chopped 2 red onions peeled and finely chopped juice of ½ lemon 1 carrot peeled and cut into chunks 6 spring onions trimmed and finely sliced Handful of coriander leaves chopped
· first cook the beans. Drain then tip into a large pan and add the thyme, bay leaf, onion halves and carrot. Pour in enough water to cover b 3-4 cm. Simmer and cook for 40-50 minutes until the beans are soft.
· Fish out the herbs, carrot and onion and discard. Drain the beans and leave to cool.
· Heat a frying pan and add 3 tbsp. olive oil. Add the red onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 4-6 minutes until they begin to soften but not brown. Stir in the black beans and cook for a few minutes to warm through.
· Use a fork to roughly mash the beans in the pan or gently pound with the end of a rolling pin – leaving some whole for a varied texture. If the mixture looks dry add another 1 tbsp. olive oil and a splash of water.
· Season the tuna steaks with salt and pepper and coat one side with the crushed coriander seeds. Heat a frying pan, add the olive oil and pan-fry the steaks for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a warm plate, cover with foil and leave to rest for a few minutes.
· Divide the beams between warm serving plates and lay the tuna steaks on top. Serve at once.