SMOKED PEPPERED MACKEREL WITH RICE SALAD
- 2 tbsp. olive oil 15 g butter 1 large onion finely chopped 1 tsp ground turmeric 1 ½ tsp garam masala 50 g raisins 500 g mixed wild and basmati rice 1 litre vegetable stock, hot 100 g cashew nuts, toasted and roughly chopped 250 g smoked peppered mackerel
· Heat the olive oil and butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
· Add the onion and cook for 5-6 minutes until softened.
· Stir in the turmeric and garam masala and cook for a minute, then add the rice and raisins and toss well.
· Pour in the stock, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the rice has absorbed the liquid and is cooked and tender. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
· Stir the cashew nuts through the rice along with the flaked mackerel, zest and juice of the lemon and the chopped parsley. Check the seasoning before serving.