SPICED SEABASS COOKED IN VINE LEAVES WITH AUBERGINES & TOMATOES
- 4 sea bass with skin about 150g each ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper ½ tsp ground ginger ¼ tsp ground allspice ¼ tsp ground cinnamon ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg 3 tbsp. olive oil 75 ml pomegranate juice ½ red chilli, deseeded & chopped 1 tsp brown sugar 2 tsp chopped coriander leaves 1 tsp lemon juice 4 vacuum-packed vine leaves sea salt ½ lemon cut into wedges AUBERGINES AND TOMATOES 2 small (or 1 large) aubergines, trimmed & diced 4 tbsp. olive oil ½ tsp ground cumin 16 vine cherry tomatoes halved Handful of coriander leaves roughly torn
Place the bass portions in a shallow dish. For the marinade, mix all the spices together with the oil and rub all over the fish. Cover and leave to marinate in a cool place for a couple of hours.
· For the aubergines and tomatoes, sprinkle the aubergines with salt and place in a colander; leave for about 30 minutes to degorge the bitter juices. Rinse the aubergines under cold water and pat dry with kitchen paper.
· Preheat the oven to 200˚ C/Gas 6. In a jug, mix together the pomegranate juice, chilli, brown sugar, chopped coriander and lemon juice.
· Lay out the vine leaves on a clean surface and place a bass fillet, skin side down, on top of each one. Season with a little salt and spoon the pomegranate liquid on top.
· Fold the vine leaves over the fish to make parcels and secure with skewers.
· Cook in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until the fish is just cooked – it should just start to flake when tested with a knife.
· Meanwhile, heat a wok and add the 4 tbsp. olive oil. Fry the aubergines for about 5 minutes until golden brown and tender, then add the cumin and cherry tomatoes and cook for another couple of minutes. Scatter over the coriander.
Serve the fish in the vine leaves, with the aubergines and tomatoes alongside.