SPICED MONKFISH WITH CRUSHED POTATOES
- 4 Monkfish tail fillets, skinned about 170 g each 1 tsp. Chinese five-spice powder 1 tsp. sweet paprika 1tsp. salt 2 tbsp. olive oil Handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped Lemon wedges, to serve CRUSHED POTATOES 750g new potatoes, scraped clean 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper Squeeze of lemon juice 200g drained roasted peppers in oil (from a jar) chopped handful of basil leaves, shredded 75g pitted black olives, roughly chopped
Heat the oven to 200˚C/Gas 6 and place in a roasting pan in the oven to heat up
· Next to cook the potatoes add them to a pan of well salted boiling water and cook for about 10-15 minutes until tender.
· Meanwhile, lay the monkfish on a board and remove any greyish membrane. Mix the five spice powder, paprika and salt together on a plate. Roll the monkfish fillets in the spice mixture to coat evenly all over.
· Heat the olive oil in a heavy based frying pan and sear the monkfish fillets, in batches if necessary, for 1 ½ - 2 minutes on each side until golden brown all over
· Transfer the monkfish fillets to the hot roasting pan and bake for 8-10 minutes until the fish is just cooked through. When ready, remove from the oven, cover with foil and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
· Drain the potatoes as soon as they are done and return to the pan. Lightly crush them with the back of a fork or a potato maser and mix in the extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and some seasoning. Stir in the chopped peppers, olives and basil. Taste and adjust the seasoning
· Cut the monkfish into thick slices. Spoon the crushed potatoes onto warm serving plates and arrange the monkfish on top. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve at once, with lemon wedges and spinach or broccoli.